Wednesday, November 7, 2007

In Puerto Williams

Sorry it has taken me so long to update. I have made it safe and sound down to Puerto Williams. The plane ride for Punta Arenas was fun…in a really small plane with about 15 seats. I landed at the small airport and was picked up by Randy. We drove to the hotel and he gave me the grand tour. The hotel is situated along an inlet of the Beagle Channel with the mountains of Isla Navarino behind it. Everywhere I look there are big snow-capped mountains…in every direction. The entire length of the Argentinean side of the channel is covered with mountains as far as I can see. Pretty cool.

The weather has been cool or cold. Coming from Guatemala, it feels kind of cold. So far, it has been both sunny and rainy every day. I think the weather changes here a lot.

The hotel is really nice. It has about 24 rooms, a full on kitchen, dining room-common room, bar, general hang out place in the basement, and a ridiculously large barn for the fifteen-some horses. For now I am staying one of the rooms until the bunk house is ready for me. I kind of hope to be in the hotel for a while, but I doubt it.

What little hope I had of learning Spanish while I was in Guatemala was quickly smashed when I heard Chilean Spanish. It is way harder to understand and often sounds like a bunch of mumbling. Wahhh Wahhh.

4 comments:

S Thaddeus said...

Good to hear man! I keep showing people the pic you posted a while ago on the blog--jealously always ensues. Any pics of your exact location yet? (PS this is being posted from One World Cafe)

Matto said...

Waaah Waah indeed! I actually laughed out loud in the coffee shop at that one.

Sarah said...

Brian! Dank!

Nancy said...

YAY! You can speak that spanish! i'm glad you made it okay :)