Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Scoup

All right, here is the deal. I have been asked to join my friend Wolf on one of his sailboats as part of the crew taking 4 passangers accross the Drake Sea to Antarctica. We will be sailing in the Santa Maria Australis, a 60 foot sailboat, for the next 3 weeks. Most of the time will be spent in the boat, but once we arrive in Antarctica, we will have to chance to get out on the ice as well as stop at various naval bases in the area.

Here is the Sea Ice & Mountain website (Wolfs company)
http://www.simltd.com/jeannete/web/File/Home_english.html
You can track the progress of the boat here (our boat is abbreviated SMA)
http://track.gmn-usa.com/cgi-bin/fleet_setup.pl?fleet=iaato&password=ushuaia

I am not sure if I will have email access on the voyage, but if I do, I will try to update my blog along the way.

3 comments:

Matto said...

Heck Yes!!

Barry @ Placid Quake said...

Brian Ohlen, your Mom and my Dad are first cousins...so I'm not sure what that makes us...2nd?

Anyway, I'm a bit envious of your travels. I sailed Chile's inland waterway back in 1991, and loved it.

Fair winds, cousin, and following seas. Get any of that Chilean seafood? The barnacles (loco) are delicious!

Barry Schnoor

Jennie said...

Hi, Brian! Jay Schnoor's daughter here. Your travels sound exciting--I'm so envious! New Hampshire seems pretty ordinary and not very snowy compared to your destination. We'll look forward to all updates and pictures. Meanwhile, God bless and keep you, adventurous Cousin!

Love,
Jennie Steinhauser