Thursday, December 13, 2007

Micalvi...never disappointing









**Don Gabriel was pretty stoked about the foreign girls doing what appears to be the crab walk**

Micalvi is the yacht club just down the channel where all the private sail boats dock. There are more or less two reasons why people sail here. Either they are sailing around Cape Horn (The Horn) or are sailing to Antarctica, so there are always boats and crews coming and going in and out of Puerto Williams. This week a crew from Australia came over for supper at the lodge. It is always fun to meet these people because they are on cool adventures. I there was one lady on this crew that had done two solo trips to the South Pole and is planning one to the North Pole…pretty ridiculous.

Anyways, after supper Randy and I went with them to Micalvi (the Yacht club & bar) housed on an old German ship. The bar is pretty awesome. The floor is far from level and the ceiling low. Wood stoves keep the place warm and there are flags, pictures, t-shirts, and all sorts of things stapled to the wall, left by sailors. It is so fun just being in this place. The atmosphere is great. Last time, a bunch of Polish sailors broke into song, singing what I liked to imagine as old sea tunes. I enjoyed the first one, but as they sung the 4th, 5th, and 6th, it was getting a little old. There was also this old surly skipper Randy and I call The Kraken. When I think of an “old sea dog”, I picture this guy; big belly, scruffy grey beard, and angry at the world and all the tourists in the Antarctic.

I also find the whole idea of sailing pretty fascinating. The idea of living on a boat for a couple months and sailing wherever your heart desires sounds like something I would like to try. Every time I go to Micalvi and meet some of these sailors I get an urge to barter passage and jump on board. I have made it a goal to somehow get on a ship and sail The Horn. I don’t know how realistic is its, but I want to try anyways.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

You should try to get on a cruiser sail crew - apparently the sailors are always looking for shipmates.

Sarah said...

Rad!

B-randt said...

if you get on a ship make damn sure you have a good pipe tobacco mix: half bill durham and half prince albert, bill durham for flavor and prince albert for bulk!

Me said...

Good use of the word 'barter'.