Sunday, November 18, 2007

Luckily not our last supper...


Last night, Marcia the chef went to the beach and collected a large quantity of muscles. Coming from such a land locked state, I was interested in what she was cooking, so I helped her clean off the muscles and put them a giant pot for cooking. She steamed them (I think) with white wine, onions, and probably something else. When they were done she called me up for the late meal of the day (about 9:00). The muscles had opened up and we put salsa verde and pevere ( a spicy red salsa) on them and sucked them down. They were very delicious. Randy joined us and we continued to gulp them down. After I had already eaten around 10 of the delicious morsels, Randy said something along these lines...

"Oh yeah, have you ever heard of the Red Tide. Every once in a while, muscles get this contamination and they are toxic to eat and can kill you in a few hours. The government checks it out and reports when it is OK to eat them. I think currently there is a ban on collection. Marcia doesn’t says that she knows were to collect them from though..."

At this point I am fairly worried and my consumption of them hits a wall. Randy then tells me, " well you already ate a bunch, might as well die with a full stomach" I joked and said I hope this isn’t our last supper...

Luckily it wasn’t, and we enjoyed the rest of our meal. Later Marcia informed us that the government said it was OK to collect muscles this month...but I don’t know if I believed her.

4 comments:

Marion said...

Good thing you used only your slurping muscls to suck down those mussels and not the abdominals to get them back up! Wow! the recipe sounds fantastic!

Marion said...

Well, let me get the word correct, "muscles" has an e in it!. Sorry.

Nancy said...

Mussels. mmmm.

Sarah said...

I like that you were helping the cook out. Sounds pretty chil. I'm glad things turned out alright.